Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 - The Year to Believe

There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - Zora Neale Hurston

It's January 1st and we all know what that means...Resolutions that we commit to then forget about as soon as something else gets in the way...I started thinking about resolutions and did some research on resolutions and found a few that we don't always think about but I think I will give them a try this year...I would love to hear your resolutions.

Read Simple Abundance - A Daybook of Comfort and Joy.  This is one of my New Year's Resolutions.  I bought this book a couple of years ago and I have decided this is the year that I will read the book and actually do the exercises.

It's kind of prophetic that the last paragraph in today's entry encourages the reader is to begin this year by believing, Believe in yourself to make your dreams come true.  Weight Watchers new advertising promotion is Believe.  If you haven't seen the new ads, don't worry they will be flooding the market very soon!!  I do like premise because as most of you know I am always saying it is all about you and believing in yourself that you can do it.

Prioritize Sleep - I used to laugh and tell people that I would sleep when I was dead, then a doctor told me I had breast cancer and after six months of treatment I kind of wished I was dead or at least knew I felt pretty close to it. While I sleep much better than I used to I could still work on this resolution.  This year I resolve to try to get at least seven hours of sleep a night.  It will not only help my long term health but it will also help keep me younger.  I will work on the things that keep me up at night and begin creating a quiet place to rest my head.

Use Vacation Days - yes, Steve and I are retired, but I think we sometimes get so busy that we feel like we are back working full time.  This year I want to do the things that are important to me, I want to have more dates with Steve, more time with our grand children and I want to make that happen.  If it means letting go of some of the other "volunteer" jobs we have then I am willing to make that happen.

Remember to Breathe - sounds simple, does hard.  How often are we all wrapped up in the craziness that is our lives that we forget to stop and breathe.  I will practice breathing.  When things get tough or stressful, I will stop, I will take a deep breath and center myself. I found Dr. Weil's website on breathing, he recommends three different breathing exercises to help relieve stress.  Check them out if you are of a mind.

Do 10 Minutes of Yoga a day - Yoga helps with your balance, it helps your mind, it helps your body and yet so many of us don't think we could ever do yoga.  Don't think, oh great, now I need to add one more thing to my life.  Start with 10 minutes, check out this website for poses that are pretty simple to do.  Steve is so surprised at how a little bit of yoga has given him so much more balance.

Bike or walk to work one day a week - Given where we live this might be tough to do to get to Weight Watchers in Placerville, but I do teach an exercise class three days a week, maybe one of those days I will will the mile and a half to the lodge to teach my class.  Classes start this Wednesday so I shall walk one of those days.

Do One Thing A Week Only Because I Want To - I will do one thing a week for me, whether it is a girl's date with my daughter, an afternoon hike in the mountains with Steve or sharing a cup of coffee with a friend I haven't seen lately.  I will get a manicure if I want to or I will sit in the sunshine and read a book, I will do these things because I want to, not because I have to or because it is expected of me.  I will take care of myself.

Until Thursday

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment