Sunday, April 3, 2011

Oh the Places You'll Go!!!


This week's meeting is the kickoff for Weight Watchers Walk It Challenge.

I am reminded of the Dr. Seuss Book "Oh the Places You'll See"  I found a very good version of the poem on YouTube.  Check out Oh The Places You'll See on YouTube.  The book is read by John Lithgow and it really does speak about the ups and downs of life's journeys.  I think I may have to go out and buy the book!!!  Remember you are also off to great places and you are the one who decides where to go.  You have chosen to go down the right path to a more healthier and happier you!!!

This picture is of me in 2008, Steve and I had gone on a vacation to Australia.  This was a month before my 50th birthday and I remember thinking I wanted to get in shape.  Steve and I were walking and I kept thinking: "I am never going to get in shape!" "I will be like this for the rest of my life."  "I can never walk that far!"  Well, I put one foot in front of the other each day I decided I would go a little further and before I knew it, I was walking 1/2 mile without stopping.  I was amazed that I could do it.

When we got back from Australia I tried walking in Pollock and found myself struggling again, but I knew if I could do it in Australia I certainly could walk in Pollock Pines!  After a few setbacks (I fainted a couple of times, threw up a few times, thought I was going to die a few times) I finally made it up the hill and I haven't looked back.

Walking saved my life...it gave me back the confidence to tackle so many things including running a marathon.  It is also really cool to just listen to the birds and other animals as I do my walk.

Is running a marathon in everyone's great plans?  No, but it is up to you dear friend to find what is in your plan.  So many of us struggle to start or stick with an exercise routine, often because of misconceptions:
  • It takes tons of time
  • It requires all kinds of gear
  • It's expensive
  • There's that dreaded gym culture
  • I'm just not an exercise person
We will be talking about all of these things at the meeting on Thursday night..

The Weight Watcher's Walk It Challenge gives you the structure and support you need to begin moving more, you can set a goal and it is a great way to get started with an activity and stay on track.  Using the online tools available from Weight Watchers, each of you can get expert training and regular emails with tips and advice.

The Thursday Night Placerville group will be planning a 5K Walk to finish off the challenge and we will talk more about it this coming Thursday!

This week's Weight Watcher's Weekly will describe how you can set activity goals that are right for you, so whether you have run races before or never been on a running track in your life, this week's meeting is all about how you can earn a 5K charm from the Weight Watchers Walk It Challenge.

Sneak Peak:
You will definitely want to be at the Weight Watchers Meeting on April 14th.  Ken Press, founder of SacFit will be our guest speaker and he will be talking about the benefits of walking.  Although you will see that Ken is a very humble person, he is a world class athlete who will be running the Western States 100 Miler in June.  Plan to join us for a very interesting conversation!




Until Thursday night - remember "One foot in front of the other will get you there every time!"

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment