Sunday, March 27, 2011

Friends along the Way

Isabella, Vara and Ally
Family and friends, we need them both.  This is a picture of our three youngest granddaughters.  Although they are spread across miles and miles, whenever they get together, it is as if they have never been apart.  They are pretty good at getting in trouble together but if one gets something, they all get it, including getting Grandpa saying in his gruffy voice "What are the three of you doing NOW!"

This week's topic is about Pal Power.
It's tough to fly solo when trying to lose weight, people who attend meetings are three times more likely to lose weight than people who are trying to lose alone.  Finding a weight loss buddy can take that support even further.  But it can be challenging to find the right person.

According to Joan Price, author of The Anytime, Anywhere Exercise Book puts it this way: "Being accountable to a buddy who's both supportive and tough can help you avoid bouts of mindless eating and resist temptation such as pastries in the office or a colleague's birthday cake."

Questions to Ponder:

What do you think are the qualities of a good weight loss buddy?

What qualities do you look for in a friend? Why would those same qualities be helpful or un-helpful in a weight loss pal?

What would the ideal weight-loss buddy be like for you?

Does it help you to other people's challenges? Their successes?


For me, Steve was my weight loss buddy at home and my meetings were my anchors.  I would sit and listen to others, I would ask questions and so very often I left the meeting feeling so much better about my journey.  I knew I wasn't alone.

What I realized was that there is strength in numbers, I needed to have people around me who could encourage me as I moved through that journey.

Come to this week's meeting and we will talk about the Power of Two or three or Four!!!!

See you Thursday,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment