Sunday, March 13, 2011

It's not a Diet, it's a Lifestyle!!!

So often I hear people say "When I am at my goal weight, I can enjoy my life again." or "I only have five more pounds and I can go back to enjoying my life."  


I too believed that was what would happen to me, but what I finally realized is that Weight Watchers is all about lifestyle.  I think one of the most powerful aspects of the PointsPlus plan is that it allows us to enjoy our life.  If someone had told me that I would never have the opportunity to have a piece of cheesecake, a glass of wine or a chocolate bar again for the rest of my life, I would have run from the room screaming!!! What you have to understand is that you are making a lifestyle change that will stay with you for the remainder of your life. Fad diets do not work -- yo-yo'ing does not work. What Weight Watchers teaches all of us is that when you make the decision to change your lifestyle, it is a change that you will pursue for the rest of your life. Is that worth it to be at a weight you desire, and to be in a physical and mental space you desire? You Bet!!


Weight Watchers taught me strategies for avoiding feeling deprived, both physically and mentally.  I realized that only when I feel satisfied - in both my mind and my body - can the weight loss process be sustainable for the long-term.


How can I do this?
  • I spice up my menu by trying new recipes and new foods
  • I use smaller plates and bowls
  • I have learned to eat mindfully - I enjoy my food instead of wolfing it down while watching TV, checking e-mail or driving (I can't remember the last time I went through a fast food drive in!!!)
  • I appreciate my surroundings. I have surrounded myself with great companions and people with a winning lifestyle and attitude.
  • I take my time when I am eating because it takes my brain 20 minutes for it to register the signal that my stomach is full!
I used to equate "trying to lose weight" with "limiting the amount" of food that I could eat.  I have learned that I don't have to think these thoughts. You can carefully track what you eat and still enjoy the foods you like.


Finally, always remember that you can indulge yourself.  You can eat the foods you love -- whether you want a brownie in the breakroom, your favorite pasta dish for a night on the town or a great omelette on the weekend.  That's what your weekly PointsPlus Allowance are for!!!


What has perceptions about Weight Watchers have changed since you joined?


Come join us this Thursday night for St. Patrick's Day in Placerville!!!  You will love the meeting!!!


Until Thursday,


Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment